Oxfordshire Senior Football League
2011-2012 Season

Premier Division

Kennington  0    Marston Saints  0

Saturday, 18 February 2012

A highly entertaining game somehow managed to finish 0-0 with both sides going flat out for victory at Playfield Road. Marston showing better quality than their league position suggests were quick out of the blocks shutting down the home side at every opportunity while still managing to cause the home defence problems. Saints nearly took the lead on thirteen minutes when a free kick from the left side was met with a powerful header from six yards centre of goal that just cleared the bar. Saints caused the home defence many problems in the air and they came close on a couple of occasions from corners to taking the lead but the Yellows defence stood firm. Kennington created their first true effort on goal on eighteen minutes when Rob Andrew got the better of the Saint’s left back with some quick footwork cutting in from the left before unleashing a powerful right foot shot which the away keeper did well to tip over for a corner. The game was being played at a high tempo and Saints came close to taking the lead again on thirty seven minutes when after a scramble in the Kennington box w James Clarkson was on hand to make a fine block on the line when a goal looked a certainty. The Yellows responded on forty one minutes when midfielder Nick Giles ran onto a pass and from the edge of the box shot wide of the right hand post. The half time whistle came with the sides level although Saints just had the edge with the home side looking dangerous on the break.
The second half saw Kennington getting to grips more with their passing game but the game was still anyone’s for the taking and on seventy five minutes home keeper Nick Hill had to be quick to smother out the danger getting down low to intercept a left wing cross taking the ball off the toe of an oncoming Saints attacker six yards out. Kennington were finishing the game the stronger a minute later they created their best chance after a fine passing move saw Benn Quinn latch onto a left wing cross ten yards out on the angle but his well struck shot across goal produced a fine save from the away keeper getting down low to his right to palm the ball away to safety. The home side were now pushing hard for a winner and on seventy nine minute they should have taken the lead when a Giles right sided corner was headed over the bar from four yards out. The last chance of the game fell to Andrews when some good work down the left by sub Mark Harris produced a pin point cross onto Andrews head six yards out but his glancing header just beat the right hand upright. So both sides had to settle for a point which was probably a fair result.